Vareniki – food that brings me back home. I personally like them with potato filling, sour cabbage or cherries. Here is the super easy dough recipe that my mom uses all the time .
Dough: 500g plain flour plus extra for dusting; 200-230 g warm water plus extra for sealing; 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 pinch of salt
Filling: use your leftover of mashed potato, or any other filling you like
- Mix all dough ingredients in a bowl, cover with towel and leave for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out until very thin (3mm). Cut out circles of dough with a cookie cutter or cup.
- Place approx. 2 tsp into the centre of circle of dough. Wet the edge of half the circle with a little water, then fold carefully to create a half-moon shape enclosing the filling. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Fill a pot with water, bring to boil and cook for 4 minutes until vareniki rise to the surface.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and add sour cream or drizzle with sautéed onions, garnished with fresh chives.
One thought on “Vareniki (pierogi)”
These look delicious! I think i might make those for our family! I’ll take a photo!
LikeLiked by 1 person